Friday, December 15, 2006

One Last Lie for the Road

What the heck, I�ll pop over to Iraq one last
time for a meet-and-greet with the kids I�ve sent to war.


Thank goodness I�m not going to have to do this
again, though; I was born an upbeat guy, but it does


get to you knowing that the thing is such a bloody
mess and yet more of them are going to be sacrificed.

Did I write a secret memo saying that I don�t
believe in this thing anymore? You bet! But you can�t

let the public in on that and just cut-and-run.
Jeez, how would that look for the Rummy Legacy?


I went over there back in 1984 to kiss Saddam�s
derriere in order to get him to take on Iran,


and now I leave Iraq in the hands of those Iraqi
Shiites who were trained in a decade of exile in Iran.


Those are the insurgents I�m worried about, not
those Sunni guys who used to be with us.


Should I have tried to convince young Bush that
Hussein could be brought over to our side? Probably

No comments: